The event aims to present the EU Green Deal, to discuss its international dimensions, and to highlight the EU’s excellence in research and innovation as a tool towards climate neutrality.
- green economy | green infrastructure
- Sunday 3 October 2021, 10:00 - Monday 4 October 2021, 17:00 (CEST)
Becoming the world’s first climate-neutral continent by 2050 is a once in a lifetime opportunity to modernise the EU’s economy and society and re-orient them towards a just and sustainable future. The European Green Deal is our roadmap for this transformational change, by turning climate and environmental challenges into opportunities across all policy areas and making the transition just and inclusive for all.
Research and innovation are key to fostering new technologies and spreading successful sustainable solutions and disruptive innovation across Europe and the world. The EU's research and innovation programmes and initiatives provide powerful instruments and innovative governance. If coupled with financial instruments, they can drive the necessary systemic changes to reach climate neutrality and ensure an inclusive ecological and sustainable transition.
This EU event is organised in the framework of Expo2020 and it aims to highlight the EU’s excellence in research and innovation as a tool towards climate neutrality and sustainability, and the EU’s ambition of cooperating with partners toward the achievement of this global goal.
The high level event will bring together policy makers and innovators from the EU and the world to:
- Present the new EU research and innovation programme (Horizon Europe) and a main multilateral initiative, called Mission Innovation that the EU is presently co-chairing to drive the Climate transition globally.
- Show case projects and breakthroughs that already help deliver the European Green Deal objectives and climate neutrality, including in partnership with Mission Innovation members.
- Discuss the success factors and the expectations from international Innovation cooperation initiatives, such as Mission Innovation.
The event is organised by the European Commission, and it is hosted in the Expo 2020 pavilion of Sweden.
The event will feature a high level hybrid workshop on October 4, and a dedicated EU projects’ Networking village during October 3-4.